[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bug#881333: Qt with GLES on arm64 maintainer's decision - Was:: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

El lunes, 26 de noviembre de 2018 08:37:57 -03 Raphael Hertzog escribió:
> Hello Lisandro,
> TLDR: thank you for starting this discussion, it was required as it's not
> an easy decision to take as there is no realistic perfect solution,

Our (team-wide) pleasure. This is something we have been digging since 2015.

> but I
> believe you took the wrong decision. Please consider deferring the
> decision to the technical committe by seeking his advice (point 6.1.3
> of the constitution
> https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution.en.html#item-6).

Will "kind of" do. Read below.

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > It seems now clear that the general consensus seems to expect:
> > = Qt available for both Desktop and ES OpenGL flavours
> > = If no change is possible, keep arm64 with Desktop OpenGL support
> I'm not pleased with how this discussion was handled. First of all,
> you did not leave enough time for all stakeholders to participate in
> the discussion (started on November 22th, closed November 25th, 3 days,
> that's not a reasonable timeframe in particular when 2 of the 3 days
> were in the week-end).

My most sincere apologies if our timeframe do not fit yours.

Now, wrt the decision: clearly the situation is very complex, involving many 
different kinds of arm64 devices, drivers, libraries et all. People involved 
have different opinions. We so far have been the proxy between them, be it on 
bugs, IRC or whatever other channels our users have to contact us. We prefer 
not to be this proxy anymore (again, read below).

Besides we (Qt's team) have just learned that the Desktop/ES support is not 
tied to the hardware but to the driver. That's a particularly interesting 


To quote my original mail, the "Qt available for both Desktop and ES OpenGL 
flavours" point remains unchanged: if someone wants to make it happen [s]he 
must join the team and support it from the inside. Remember there are little 
chances for this to happen in time for Buster.

For the second point, "If no change is possible, keep arm64 with Desktop 
OpenGL support", we have this position: we will keep the status quo, deferring 
users who want GLES support to Ubuntu.

*But* we are open to change this for any arch (read it: support either one or 
the other technology) as long as the decision is taken by the technical 
committee. As I wrote before, we will keep the status quo, so if anyone is 
interested in any change feel free to contact the TC.

Regards, Lisandro.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

Reply to: