Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

Would packaging Regal solve any of this?

https://github.com/p3/regal

It claims to implement OpenGL on top of OpenGL ES, but I don't know if it is complete enough or efficient enough to be useful in this context.

Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
We do not have a final list yet, but packages that may get broken will
likely belong to one of these two groups:

- Packages that build-depend on both qtbase5-dev and libglu1-mesa-dev:

  cgal, flightgear, fraqtive, kalgebra, kstars, ksudoku, kubrick, paraview,
  simplescreenrecorder, starpu, starpu-contrib, structure-synth, vtk6, vtk7

- Packages that build-depend on libqt5opengl5-desktop-dev:

  bino, deepin-movie-reborn, enki-aseba, fracplanet, fraqtive, freecad,
  krita, libconfig-model-dpkg-perl, mldemos, mm3d, openms, qwtplot3d,
  shelxle, soundscaperenderer, tetzle, virtualjaguar, vite, vtk7

Would it also break packages that directly call OpenGL functions that are not in ES? e.g. 3D applications that were initially created under OpenGL 1 and never completely moved away from the old fixed-function / immediate-mode interfaces.

I don't know how many of these there are: the one I know about (FlightGear) is already on your list because it also has a GLU dependency. Trying to find them via codesearch (taking the intersection of packages matching "glBegin[^A-Z]|glLight|glFog" and "path:debian/control libqt|qtbase|qml-module") finds

amarok apitrace aseba avogadro ball bino camitk cgal choreonoid clementine cloudcompare colmap connectome-workbench csoundqt digikam doomsday dpuser dustrac enki-aseba flightgear fmit fracplanet freecad freemat gambas3 gle-graphics gnuradio goldencheetah gr-fosphor gst-plugins-good1.0 gudhi hedgewars iannix ifrit imagevis3d itksnap klatexformula kstars ksudoku kubrick lazarus leocad libqglviewer libreoffice libterralib mame mathgl mcrl2 meshlab mixxx mldemos mlt mm3d mudlet mumble obs-studio octave opencolorio openimageio openjfx openms openscad openscenegraph openscenegraph-3.4 osmose-emulator otb ovito paraview pcl pfstools pianobooster projectm pyqt5 pyqwt3d pyside pyside2 python-qt4 qt4-x11 qtbase-opensource-src qtiplot qtsvg-opensource-src qttools-opensource-src qtwebengine-opensource-src qtwebkit qwtplot3d renderdoc retroarch ring sdrangelove shelxle sleepyhead sofa-framework soqt soundscaperenderer starpu stellarium structure-synth tulip uranium utopia-documents v4l-utils virtualjaguar vite viva vlc vtk6 vtk7 warzone2100 webcamoid wireshark woo xflr5 yabause

but as some of these are available with a Qt dependency on armel/armhf, I suspect they include false positives that use GL1 only in optional/example code or contain an embedded copy of the OpenGL headers.