Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On 2018-11-23 03:27 +0300, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
> Hello,
> > - Qt is tied to either Desktop or GLES: yes
> >
> > So we need to pick one. The question is then which one will benefit our users
> > most.
> >
> > So far I personally know 0 people with an arm64 board with PCI slots, while I
> > know many with arm64 boards with hardware GLES support.

My main desktop is now an arm64 machine with an nvidia PCI graphics
card. These are fairly new (and currently expensive), but I have
reason to believe there is more of this sort of thing coming, and
laptop-format machines.

I need to investigate this further, but changing from GL to GLES just
at the moment where desktop hardware starts to make inroads could be a
big own goal on arm64. I recall Linaro doing some work on this back
when it started (to make it easier to switch between GL and
GLES). Possibly that work never actually got done, just talked out.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/