[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:38:53PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> But it's not just my opinion that matters.  I think we need to decide
>> this somehow as a project, whether via the TC or via GR or something,
>> because there's a real disagreement here over whether we can or should
>> force-upgrade all Debian systems and I don't believe doing something
>> short of that is going to be supportable.

> why do you think we need to decide it via TC or GR, without letting
> whoever is responsible for the affected packages decide?

Because we have no idea what packages are affected (possibly a lot).  It's
not just packages that ship files in /lib, /bin, and /sbin (although
that's already lots); it's every package that uses something in those

Personally, I think the chances of breakage are reasonably small and I
think Marco has already done a ton of work to try to find that breakage,
but it's a very sweeping, global change, which is what makes it

> (Or are you just forseeing that someone will want to go to the TC?)

> As a user, I couldnt care less if usrmerge is enabled or not. 0 visible
> differences. /bin is a link to /usr/bin, the sun still rises in the
> morning.

If we can decide via consensus that no one objects to the goal and it's
just a matter of getting enough testing to make usrmerge essential (and
working out the timing for when we have enough testing), great.  Given the
general trend of the threads, I'm dubious we'll get there, but consider me
+1 for that position if it helps.

Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Reply to: