Re: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin

On 19 November 2018 at 17:32, Sean Whitton wrote:
| Hello,
|
| On Mon 19 Nov 2018 at 01:15PM -0500, Chris Lamb wrote:
|
| > Hi Dimitri,
| >
| >> […] e.g. using reproducible builds infra to do "build in
| >> --no-merged-usr, rebuild in --merged-usr, result should be the same"
| >> either as a one-off, or on the ongoing basis.
| >
| > So, as mentioned on:
| >
| >   https://reproducible-builds.org/blog/posts/185/
| >
| > … Simon McVittie has actually patched our testing framework to vary
| > this and this is now live.
| >
| >   https://bugs.debian.org/901473#33
| >
| > (There is some further discussion on this bug.)
|
| Nice.  Props to you all.

Are we sure this is fixed?

The build failures appeared in the last two days. These release and patch
notes are from Nov 9 (in the BTS) and before Nov 13 (for Repro Build summary).

As pointed out to me earlier today by Kurt Hornik from the (upstream) R Core
team (whom I have CC'ed here too), if we look at eg the i386 build of r-base
3.5.1-2 resulting from my upload this morning I see line 120 to 123 of
/usr/bin/R having (indented two)

  ## some systems have a more portable sed, e.g. /usr/xpg4/bin/sed on Solaris,
  ## so make sure that is used.
  SED=/usr/bin/sed
  export SED

and that is still WRONG as there is no /usr/bin/sed, only /bin/sed.

R itself use this in configure.ac (again indented two):

  ## we would like a POSIX sed, and need one on Solaris
  AC_PATH_PROGS(SED, sed, /bin/sed, [/usr/xpg4/bin:$PATH])

Similarly, I have had this for many years in debian/rules -- in part because
at one point had mulitple zip versions (until an IP related issue became
better IIRC), multiple print queues, multiple pages, multiple awks etc pp and
what not:

	R_GZIPCMD="/bin/gzip -n"			\
	PAGER=/usr/bin/pager				\
	PERL=/usr/bin/perl				\
	R_UNZIPCMD=/usr/bin/unzip			\
	R_ZIPCMD=/usr/bin/zip				\
	R_PRINTCMD=/usr/bin/lpr				\
	AWK=/usr/bin/awk                                \

We can surely work around / with usrmerge and do more checks -- but it
currently looks to me as if this is still borked for now.

And call me crazy or old-fashioned, but "baking" a configure-time choice into
a script seems preferable to searching the path each time.  We only move /bin
once every fourty years afer all ...

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org