Tornado 5 and salt

Hi,

The salt package has been broken in unstable for several month now
since python-tornado upgraded to version 5. salt needs major changes to
support tornado 5 (which uses asyncio) [1]. I have waited for upstream
to support tornado 5, but the tornado 5 support is still work in
progress and I lost the hope that it will land in the development
branch or a release in time for the buster freeze. I don't want to ship
salt with a big patch to support tornado 5 risking to introduce bugs.

Therefore I like to:

1) Create a python3-tornado4 package containing the latest tornado 4.x
release. This package would rename the tornado module to tornado4 to
make it co-installable with python3-tornado.

2) Patch salt to use python3-tornado4 instead of python3-tornado.

Once salt supports tornado 5, the patch and the python3-tornado4
package can be dropped.

What do you think? Any reasons against it or do you have a better idea?

[1] https://github.com/saltstack/salt-jenkins/issues/995#issuecomment-424168351
[2] https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/49398

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

1&1 IONOS Cloud GmbH | Greifswalder Str. 207 | 10405 Berlin | Germany
E-mail: benjamin.drung@cloud.ionos.com | Web: www.ionos.de

Head Office: Berlin, Germany
District Court Berlin Charlottenburg, Registration number: HRB 125506 B
Executive Management: Christoph Steffens, Matthias Steinberg, Achim
Weiss

Member of United Internet