Re: announcing backport script designed to reduce potential human errors

Fixed debian-devel@debian.org -> debian-devel@lists.debian.org so that
people who reply won't have to do this to avoid bounced emails.  Sorry
for the mistake!

Hi James,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 07:16:51PM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 05:33:06PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> > I'm not sure if a something like this is worth including in
> > devscripts, but I found that it wasn't fun to worry about all the
> > potential mistakes one could make when building formal backports, so
> > I've been using a script to prevent errors such as:
>
> There was a previous request for something like this in #660208.  At
> the time, I suggested trying to merge the functionality of the proposed
> script with one that Russ Allbery used.
>
> It's been a long time since I looked at either of them, so I forget much
> of the details.

Thank you for the feedback and for links to past efforts and
discussions!  It would seem that a README is necessary, so I wrote a
very quick 1st draft quality one:

  https://salsa.debian.org/sten-guest/backport/blob/master/README.md

tldr; my effort focuses on the stage of building a formal backport
correctly, rather than automating the work of
src_package_from_testing->backported_src_package.

In terms of "big project" ideas, I think it would be neat if there was
a tool that integrated the pkg_from_testing->no_change_bpo
transformation, my tool, and also "Rebuild all the Things" (Sean
Whitton told me about this tool).

  https://github.com/Debian/ratt

That, however, would be a big project...but it would be cool to point
it at a leaf package and have the tool output the whole stack,
skipping the packages that are already fulfilled via stable!

If a team formed to work on this effort I would be interested to work
on the builder abstraction and correctness checks, so as long as this
doesn't require Perl ;-)  Oh, and this hypothetical project would be
post buster release.

Warm regards,
Nicholas