Re: "debian.pool.ntp.org" for Debian derivatives?

Philipp Hahn writes (""debian.pool.ntp.org" for Debian derivatives?"):
> Are we (as a Debian derivate) allowed to hard-code and use the
> "debian.pool.ntp.org" or must we apply for our own pool?

The NTP pool folks would like you to use your own pool.  So would
Debian, I'm pretty sure.

> PS: Paying that extra money to ntp.org would certainly not kill use, but
> adding that money instead to our currently already existing support of
> Debian-LTS / DebConf sponsoring / ... would probably benefit a lot more
> Debian (downstream) users and developers.

I wasn't aware that they charged commercial entities in this kind of
situation but that seems reasonable to me.  IDK how much the charge
is.  You are getting a service from pool.ntp.org, and as a commercial
entity you should pay your suppliers.

If the charge is too much, you could always run your own ntp server.

If you continue to use the Debian pool to avoid paying them, then you
are using their facilities without permission.  I don't know what
German law is like but in the UK that would be the crime of
unauthorised access to a computer system.  Also they could probably
sue you for the money.

TBH I doubt they would get you prosecuted or sue you - because they're
not that kind of people and wouldn't want to harm the free software
community = but I hope you will agree that you should act legally!

Regards,
Ian.