Re: Limiting the size of installed changelogs

On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 09:06 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:53 AM Boyuan Yang <byang@debian.org> wrote:
> > If Debian wants to limit changelog size as well, it may be better if we keep
> > similar / identical behaviour / implementation as Ubuntu.
>
> More specifically, Ubuntu packages keep changelog entries for 10
> Debian/Ubuntu package versions.
>
> At the bottom of the changelog, there is a comment like:
>
> # For older changelog entries, run 'apt-get changelog libnautilus-extension1a'
>
> apt-get changelog works on Debian systems too; it requires Internet
> access to fetch the complete changelog.

It worked on 0 out of the 2 systems I tried it on.

One is running jessie (in LTS), so none of the changelogs for security
updates are available.  (This problem doesn't occur for stretch because
security updates get copied into proposed-updates.)

The other is running unstable, and the package I tried was slightly
older than the version in the archive.

I think we would need to fix these back-end problems before relying on
apt-get changelog.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names taken