Re: Limiting the power of packages

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 11:31 AM Antoine Beaupré wrote:

> Yes well, we *could* consider rewriting Debian to be based on
> appimage/flatpak/snappy, but that would be a rather controversial
> change. I think there are smaller, incremental steps we can take before
> that to improve the situation without rewriting the whole world.

I definitely wasn't suggesting rewriting Debian, but about
automatically transforming existing Debian binary packages into
Flatpaks. This would also allow backporting apps to stable when it
isn't feasible to use the Debian backports repository.

> Beyond this issue, what I'm mostly concerned about these days is
> isolation between different apps. Our only solution on the desktop right
> now is Qubes and it seems rather overengineered for my needs.

Our solution here is AppArmour. It would be nice to see more of Qubes
(or Subgraph for that matter) in Debian though.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise