Re: Let's start salvaging packages!

Joël Krähemann:
> Hi all
>
> Seriously, this is the wrong approach.
>
> I am the upstream of a package. I have dependencies but am unsure
> about how to monetize my software or fund my dependencies.
>
> Might be I decide once to stop work full-time on it. Just because
> someone feels uncomfortable about the situation of a particular package, you can't take it away of
> his guidance. Because it
> is wrong.
>
> And it doesn't solve any problem. Rather introduces a more driven
> situation. Having 2 or even
> more upstream developers.
>
> Bests,
> Joël

This isn't about upstream ownership of software, this is about salvaging the
Debian package specifically, where the package has been neglected for a long
time and whose maintainer isn't responsive to bug reports or email contact, and
allowing for a process for another maintainer to fix up the package.  Without
some standard process for forward progress, the package remains in a broken
state and there are a lot of situations in which NMUs (Non-Maintainer Uploads)
aren't appropriate.

I've been in the situation of relying on software in Debian that was broken, and
before this process there wasn't a known path of how to deal with that.  Matter
of fact that's how I started getting into Debian development in the first place.
 It is unfortunately not uncommon to find a package [un|under]maintained such
that the pacakge in Debian needs salvaging.

I hope this helps clarify.

   -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle