Re: Let's start salvaging packages!

Tobias Frost wrote on 26/09/2018:
> The yesteday uploaded Developer's Reference has now got a chapter
> about "Package Salvaging".

Thanks Tobias for this work, I truly think Debian will benefit a lot
from it. I already filed an ITS: #909663. The Developer's Reference was
 smooth to follow, I just have a couple of impressions to share:

1. Writing the bug was a bit strange, as it was not clear to me whom was
it addressed to. Ideally its objective is to warn the current maintainer
about the ITS, but it feels more like writing to debian-devel to justify
the salvaging. In my case it also felt like writing to whoever I will
ask to sponsor the salvaging upload. I ended up writing it in a rather
impersonal form.

2. The Reference says "you must inform all maintainers, uploaders and if
applicable the packaging team explicitly by adding them to
X-Debbugs-CC". I followed this literally and added an X-Debbugs-CC to
the maintainer's address, but this is probably not necessary as the
maintainer already gets a copy of the email.

Cheers,

Paride