Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> Paride Legovini <pl@ninthfloor.org> writes:
>
>> Adam Borowski wrote on 14/09/2018:

>>> It _already_ is a symlink pair between "fd" and "fdsh".  For the executable,
>>> "fd" is the master, "fdsh" the slave, the man page prefers "fdsh".
>>
>> I am the prospect maintainer of fd-find; thanks for spotting this. I
>> will ask the current maintainer of fdclone if he's willing to drop the
>> 'fd' binary, keeping only 'fdsh' (upstream installs both as hard links).
>> Shouldn't this be possible, I'll install the fd-find binary and man as:
>>
>> /usr/share/fd-find/bin/fd
>> /usr/share/fd-find/man/man1/fd.1.gz
>>
>> and provide the convenience symlinks:
>>
>> /usr/bin/fdfind -> /usr/share/fd-find/bin/fd
>> /usr/share/man/man1/fdfind.1.gz -> /usr/share/fd-find/man/man1/fd.1.gz
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable?
>
> It strikes me as rather presumptious to be trying to grab a new two
> letter command at this point in the history of *nix (particularly when
> it is already in use).
>
> Personally, I'll never willingly install a binary named that, because it
> seems very likely to tickle my dyslexia.  I'd expect it to make me very
> grumpy if I ever have to maintain a script that includes references to
> both df and fd nearby one another.

Ignore the above -- I managed to misread what you asked as dropping 'fd'
into /usr/bin, which is the oposite of what you were actually asking.

Sorry if I introduced any aditional confusion.

Cheers, Phil.