Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On 2018-09-08, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
>>     Two different packages must not install programs with different
>>     functionality but with the same filenames.
>>
> I think the policy should be changed.
> It was possible to accommodate that when the archive was a few thousand packages.

> Or am I missing a key reason for this?

If we allow conflicts in this case, we disallow users to use both tools
at the same time.

And on multiple-users machines, it is kind of a random what tool they
actually get when they invoke a binary.

I think that is a disservice to our users.

Suddenly getting a sudo clone invoked when you want your build to build
fast is kind of .. suprising.

/Sune