Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken

> Hello,
>
> On Sat 08 Sep 2018 at 07:31PM +0200, Ruben Undheim wrote:
>
>> Yes, you are right, when I read it again. What I have been "reading" before is.
>>
>>  "Two different packages must not install programs with different functionality
>>  but with the same filenames if they do not declare that they "Conflict:" with
>>  each other."
>>
>> But it doesn't say that..
>>
>> So this means there is no way to provide the upstream executable name without
>> violating the policy? :( - even when using "Conflict:" wisely.
>
> Yes -- the point is to have a single namespace.
>
> As David mentioned, you should get in touch with the maintainers of the
> other package; it's likely you can come to some agreement.
>
> --
> Sean Whitton

I've been maintaining netgen lately, and I've been watching the
conversation but not piping up as I'm still comparatively new as an
"only almost nearly" DM [1].

In general I'm open to proposed solutions, so long as it's kept in mind
that netgen is a sufficiently generic name that I doubt this will be the
last instance of collision for the binary. Probably as a result of the
naming problem, nowadays upstream has rebranded the project as NGSolve
[2], of which Netgen is just a component.

Originally my thought was to update the package to install the binary
to, say, /usr/bin/netgen-mesher, and use the alternatives system to
provide a "netgen-binary" as /usr/bin/netgen. However, it was previously
stated this wouldn't be the correct solution, so I don't know.

[1] https://nm.debian.org/process/541
[2] https://ngsolve.org