Let's start salvaging packages -- Summary of the BoF Session.

Hello everyone,

tl;dr: at the BoF the proposal seems to be uncontroversial at the
session.  So we will go forward with discussing it and propose a patch
to e.g dev-ref (if we're still aiming for dev-ref then)

Generally, the people at the BoF seemed to be supportive of the
proposal, but a few things needed a bit more of explaining or being more
explicit in wording:

- Team-maintained packages are not special and are covered by this
  process.

- dev-ref seems to be an appropriate place for this process.
  (similarities to the NMU)

- ITS as an abbreviation for Intend To Salvage seems to stick somehow...

- A clarification of what to be counted as activity on the package would
  be useful.  Example: If there is a new upstream version bug pending
  making it salvageable, a mail to the bug ("I've seen this mail, but I
  will not find only time in the next
  month" or a "this version is not suitable because of …") is to be
  counted as activity and invalidates the eligibility of salvaging.

- Salvaging timings should be balanced, so that (especially) new
  contributors can get attracted to salvage packages without being put
  off by a too long waiting time, but a (minimum) waiting time ensures
  some commitment from them; and we want them to maintain the package
  for a prolonged time.

- The time requirements fulfill also another purposes: New contributors
  will need guidelines, just to be on the safe side as they cannot tell
  otherwise what is acceptable in the project and what not.

- The guidelines will help new contributors to find sponsors more
  easily, once the ITS is established (like NMUs are today)

- Sponsorees could use the abbreviation ITS to mark the RFS bug (e.g as
  part of the RFS title)

- The process foundation is on "honest" maintainers and not wanting to
  harm Debian on purpose. (for which we'd have other kind of processes)

- We're talking about this problem already since a long time. Why has it
  not yet implemented? Is this because there are not enough salvageable
  packages, not enough people looking for new packages, or people afraid
  of doing so because of the traditional strong ownership of packages?
  IOW, What is holding us up to adopting this?

  One reason for this could be that we do not have at the moment a
  process for changing the maintainer of a package, except voluntarily
  or via the TC. But on the other hand, if we get only 10 new people one
  step into Debian, that'll be a win already.

- Gregor's mail [1], with input from enrico: Vagueness could be a good
  thing, and the worst that can happen if someone does a bad call on
  salvaging is that an ITS bug gets opened and closed, and something
  that was unclear gets documented.  The number of months and so on that
  are currently in the proposal are still useful to empower a new
  maintainer to make the call without fear, and could be put as an
  example reference in the wiki, rather than in the dev-ref.

  IMHO I'd avoid to remove the explicit rules altogether, as this will
  be difficult for new contributors to judge whether it is ok or not (as
  said above), but why not open it for the more experienced/thick
  skinned who want to take a shortcut? As enrico said: Worst thing that
  happens is an ITS opened and shortly closed afterwards when a package
  was over-eagerly selected.  (I hope this covers also Guillem's
  concerns at least partially)

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/08/msg00008.html

Next steps:
- All: Please provide feedback.