Any way to escape /cow chroot in a Debian casper init script based live session?

I have been trying to find out if it's possible to escape the /cow chroot set up by the casper init scripts when one boots into a Debian based Linux live-CD/DVD. I want to know how to access the /cow/upper overlayfs directory for a live session that was booted _without_ the persistent option. Is there any way to do this? I've tried many different suggestions from the web but none have helped.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jonathan