Re: Concerns to software freedom when packaging deep-learning based appications.

Hi Lumin,

Quoting Lumin (2018-07-12 14:35:24)
> My core concern is:
>
>   Even if upstream releases their pretrained model under GPL license,
>   the freedom to modify, research, reproduce the neural networks,
>   especially "very deep" neural networks is de facto controled by
>   PROPRIETARIES.
>
> Justification to the concern:
>
>   1. CUDA/cuDNN is used by nearly all deep-learning researchers and
>      service providers.
>
>   2. Deep neural networks is extremely hard to train on CPU due to the
>      time cost. By leveraging cuDNN and powerful graphic cards, the
>      training process can be boosted up to more than 100x times
>      faster. That means, for example if a neural network can be
>      trained by GPU in 1 day, then the same thing would take a few
>      months on CPU. (Google's TPU and FPGA are not the point here)
>
>   3. A meaningful "modification" to neural network often refers to
>      "fine-tune", which is a similar process to "training". A
>      meaningful "reproduce" of neural network often refers to
>      "training starting from random initialization".
>
>   4. Due to 1. 2. and 3. , the software freedom is not complete. In a
>      pure freesoftware environment, that work cannot be reproduced,
>      modified, or even researched. Although CPU indeed can finish the
>      same work in several months or several years, but that's way too
>      much reluctant.
>
>      In this way, the pretrained neural network is not totally "free"
>      even if it is licenced under GPL-*. None of the clauses in GPL is
>      violated, but the software freedom is limited.

Perhaps I am missing something, but if _possible_ just 100x slower to
use CPUs instead of GPUs, then I fail to recognize how it cannot be
reproduced, modified, and researched 100x slower.

Quite interesting question you raise!

 - Jonas