Re: concerns about Salsa

On Friday, 8 June 2018 2:48:58 AM AEST Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> As DSA, I'd love to have Kubernetes or similar in stable so we could
> have deployment using containers and just rebuild those and then service
> owners could have a good way to do both development, testing and
> deployment of their services.

Please don't fall for Kubernetes fashion. From experience I can say that
bloated Kubernetes code base is poorly maintained. Abuse of private
libraries, bad versioning practices, neglect to trivial/straightforward
issues, lack of productive responses to bug reports and other problems led me
to believe that upstream barely manages to maintain the beast.
Kubernetes is such a terrible mess that I feel very uncomfortable about idea
of using it in production environment. Keep in mind that all that stuff runs
as root and we are likely to see mode CVEs...

I would definitely give "nomad" [1] a try first. It appears to aim at the
same problem yet appears to be much nicer.

[1]: https://www.nomadproject.io/

I'll see if I can update Nomad packages soon...

--
Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the way in which it has
been expressed is unsympathetic to us.
        -- Friedrich Nietzsche