Re: Hi, I am blind

I think accessibility for the blind will help us all.

For example, there are times when a sighted person might be better
served with an audio interface, or an alternate visual interface.

I hope to explore some of the options myself.  Thanks for the pointers, Mengual.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:21 PM MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
<mengualjeanphi@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 15/04/2018 à 15:49, Steffen Möller a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >

> > The problem with Debian for supporting blind users is that most of its
> > developers are not (yet) visually impaired beyond wearing glasses. They
> > don't have the devices which are costly and even if they had then they
> > likely have nobody to test it. I have no immediate idea how to help that
> > situation.
>
> It is quite important that accessibility work not to be done only by
> disabled persons. First because in free software, disable persons are
> few. Next because to make an inaccessible program accessible, difficult
> without any idea about what it looks. Major developers of accessibility
> in free software have no visual problems: Orca is developped by
> Joanmarie, GNOME accessibility by Alejandro Pinero, Debian installer by
> Samuel, etc
>
> To help, you can take as basis what Samuel Thibault explained at Debconf
> 2015 (Heidelberg). His talk explained many things. Other useful
> resources are on Development page of the Hypra website.
>
> To sum up, exploring a program via accerciser shows what it sends to
> accessibility stack and how it is accessible. Running orca with -e
> braille-monitor option shows what a user will read on a braille display.
> brltty provides similar features for people without braille display
> (Samuel does not have one). Finally, if devs could label correctly their
> widgets and create correct relationship between them, it would help.
>
> In Debian, the fact the installer is accessible is quite excellent. The
> fact the accessibility is enabled by defautl in GUI is good. I think the
> most effort needs to be done upstream now. Of course, see
> https://wiki.debian.iorg/accessibility-devel for todo specific to
> Debian. For example, adding a tag to mention if some package is or not
> accessible would be a good idea.
>
> Regards
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Steffen