Re: concerns about Salsa

On 2018-06-04 21:52 +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 12:54:32PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Salsa is hardly the first Debian production service to not be running
> > the packaged version of its primary application, and it won't be the
> > last.  ftp.debian.org isn't running the packaged version of dak.
>
> No, this has been happening forever, and this failure to dogfood has
> also been a disservice to our users forever.

Buildds don't run the packaged version either, and this contributes to
it being much harder than it should be to set up local buildd
infrastructure. There are good reasons for this from the admin's POV,
but the side-effects are signifcant and I'd like us to try harder to
use packaged stuff.

But I've not done the necessary work myself, so can't really
complain. I just observe that it is a real issue for people setting up
their own CI infra. One day I may have the tuits to improve things in
this area (I plan to start retiring soon, which might help, or may
simply introduce different distractions :-)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/