Re: make compilation not so gray

Guus Sliepen - 25.05.18, 21:46:
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 02:21:34PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > I propose to add a new flag: DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=color.
[…]
> That would be very helpful.
>
> Even more helpful would be to NOT display anything irrelevant. When a
> package fails to build, I am generally only interested in the error
> message, not everything that led up to it, because up until the error
> message everything went fine, and the likelyhood that there was any
> valuable information up to that point is very small. And, since builds
> should be reproducible, once I know there is an error I can probably
> start a rebuild myself with all debugging output enabled if I'd think
> that would help.

I just enabled all verbosity in building for fio package so that tools
that can check whether all the hardening options are in place can find
the relevant information. It actually was a lintian recommendation to do
so.

So I think there are two different needs here:

1) automatic tools: grep in the detailed build log.

2) developers: see the relevant stuff.

However, maybe there can be a different way for automatic tools to check
whether hardening flags are all applied.

Thanks,
--
Martin