Re: Firefox 60esr on Stretch ?

在 2018年5月4日星期五 CST 上午3:56:30,Jeremy Bicha 写道:
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 02:29:59PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> >> I expect nothing much different from previous ESR cycles: stretch will
> >> move
> >> to 60 after 52 goes EOL in September.
> >
> > That's really, really out of what would be reasonable for a stable update.
>
> Updating to the latest Firefox ESR is specifically promised (or
> "planned" at least) in the release notes for Jessie and Stretch. [1]
>
> > At this point, it'd be probably better to look into one of forks that
> > claim
> > security support, of those the only candidate is Waterfox: version >= that
> > of Firefox in stable, the project has been going for awhile.
> >
> > Any of possible options, though, make me really sorry for anyone who
> > maintains a browser... :(
>
> It sounds like you're requesting that somebody other than you maintain
> yet another web browser.
>
> [1]
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.
> html#browser-security
>
> Jeremy Bicha

(Sidenote: I found that pkg-mozilla-maintainers Alioth maillist got archived
and is inavailable now; that might have driven this discussion onto debian-
devel).

Firefox 60 ESR would indeed be largely different from 52 ESR; as Adam Borowski
said, "We'd need backports to stretch of multiple compilers (I would
specifically point out the compiler of Rust, 'rustc'), plenty of libraries. It
would also break the entire XUL ecosystem."

However as a user, I found myself largely expecting 60 ESR into Stretch
(regardless of what technology Debian might use). Switching to another Firefox
fork would certainly break Debian's reputation or even drive more people onto
Chromium ("yes, Chromium in Debian (stable) is following upstream version
closely and why couldn't Debian follow Firefox or even follow Firefox ESR?"),
which would be unacceptable.

My personal suggestion is some sort of joint efforts and a exception to push
all reverse depdendencies back to Stretch before 52 ESR got EOL. If that
breaks the whole XUL system, just remove 'em all in next point release. The
time window is limited (Augest 21, 2018, according to [2]).

Besides, it would be great if current firefox maintainers (and Rust
maintainers) could step up and speak out their thoughts.

--
Regards,
Boyuan Yang

[2] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/