what do people feel think of changing the configuration file path from ~/.aptitude/config to ~/.config/aptitude

Dear all,

First of all thank you all the fine people who have contributed to
packaging and maintaining the whole suit of apt, aptitude, apt-get,
dpkg low and high-level variety of tools in Debian for system
administration and making good choices.

Please CC me if you any thoughts as although I'm subscribed to
debian-devel I have opted  out of receiving mails due to the
high-volume nature of the mailing list.

Now about a year back, I had proposed changing paths of the
configuration file ~/.aptitude/config to ~/.config/aptitude . The
reason is for a change in
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

As shared by somebody in
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/8fpr6i/thoughts_on_changing_configuration_files_of/
I don't think I'm alone in this .

The obvious breakage would be in any scripts that use aptitude and one
way or the other depend or use the configuration path currently using
would be broken.

There may also be some subtle bugs which may or may not be uncovered
or not known which may be exposed by the change perhaps.

The other part which perhaps not correctly worded is that aptitude
would lose some of its special coolness as it would be in the space
where all other packages which use ~/.config are there and it would be
easier to find for common folks.

The upside if people think would be a good idea is that any perceived
or un-perceived fallout of the change, we would have at least a year
and a bit more to fix at least in Debian repos.

I do know that the Debian aptitude maintainers are conservative when
it comes to changes and understandably so.

I'm looking for people's thoughts on the above of what people think .
I am no coder hence I dunno how much work it would involve and would
the changes be self-sustained (till aptitude only) or the changes
would also lead to changes in libapt* packages although even then if a
transition were to be done it seems both seem to have smaller cycles
than some of the transition cycles we have got going through.

I did -

$ apt-rdepends -r aptitude
$ apt-rdepends -r libapt-pkg-dev

to have an idea in case if the change I ask meant they need to built
from source and transitioned.

I am sure there may be lacunae in my theory, but if not asked how would I know ?

Look forward to know.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल