Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 05:49:32PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 08:57:55PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The tip of the iceberg are some recent cases where Python 2 modules
> > were dropped that still had reverse dependencies in unstable, but
> > also for those without there will in many cases be users who will
> > still need these modules in buster.
>
> We had this discussion on IRC recently and there consensus of a
> significant portion of participants was in favour of keeping Python 2
> modules. The major theme was leaving the choice to users and use cases
> that depend on other software not packaged for Debian.
>
> Actually removing Python 2 modules is a rather easy task in most cases:
> You drop the binary package. I'm confident that we'll easily be able to
> drop all Python 2 modules after buster with little problems. The problem
> is with rdeps. What is much harder is switching applications from Python
> 2 to Python 3. Also moving applications from Python 2 to Python 3 is
> something we can and should do in time for buster as much as possible.

For native packages, yes.

For non-native packages it depends on upstream.

In many cases this will be solved automatically by updating to the
latest upstream version after the release of buster, while doing
anything now ourselves would only produce additional work.

> Thus let me propose adding a new lintian tag for non-module packages
> that depend on Python 2 and kindly ask them to switch to Python 3. Such
> a tag can very well be a warning today. It would hit around 800 binary
> packages at present. I'd love to see that number go down to around 100
> when buster is released.
>
> Do people agree that such a tag would be useful?

That would be
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/dependency-on-python-version-marked-for-end-of-life.html

> Helmut

cu