Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On April 23, 2018 3:11:10 AM UTC, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 01:52:19AM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Fundamentally not a lintian warnings are created  equal.  Some have
>solid
>> foundation in Debian project consensus and policy.  Others are
>nothing
>> more than the opinions of the lintian maintainers.  This is one of
>the latter.
>
>you make it sound like the lintian maintainers are a bunch of lunatics,
>but according to src:piuparts/debian/copyright, that's us, the piuparts
>maintainers. the lintian maintainers (and uploaders) are a bunch of
>(ex- and current) people from the release team, ftp team, policy
>editors
>and others.

That certainly wasn't my intention.  My only point is that there's no need for any project wide discussion or approval for lintian checks.  Some of them are better than others and that's okay, but people shouldn't treat lintian as a source of revealed gospel.

>and, afaik, they react to bug reports. maybe for now this python2
>warning
>should be downgraded to 'info'? what would be the best way to tell
>them?

Personally, I don't think it should exist at all, but I lost that discussion.

Scott K