Re: Comma in Maintainer field

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 04:24:59PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'd be more comfortable with this (well, RFC 5322 at this point), since
> this removes a lot of the insanity.  However, note that this is
> incompatible with existing Maintainer fields: RFC 5322 requires that . be
> quoted.  So any Maintainer field containing an unquoted period would have
> to change.
Note that the Policy says:

If the maintainer’s name contains a full stop then the whole field will
not work directly as an email address due to a misfeature in the syntax
specified in RFC822; a program using this field as an address must check
for this and correct the problem if necessary (for example by putting the
name in round brackets and moving it to the end, and bringing the email
address forward).

> RFC 5322 also prohibits non-ASCII characters, which would have to be
> encoded in RFC 2047 encoding.
Yeah, we don't want this.

--
WBR, wRAR