Re: alioth deprecation - next steps

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:10:56PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 01:00:56PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as you should be aware, alioth.debian.org will be decommissioned with
> > > the EOL of wheezy, which is at the end of May. The replacement for
> > > the main part of alioth, git, is alive and out of beta, you know it
> > > as salsa.debian.org. If you did not move your git repository yet,
> > > hurry up, time is running out.
> > >
> > > The other important service from the alioth set, lists, moved to a
> > > new host and is now live at https://alioth-lists.debian.net [1].
> > > All public list archives moved over too and will continue to exist
> > > under the old URL.
> >
> > What about the most basic service, the download page ?
> > (like <https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=101016>)
> >
> > According to
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth#Deprecation_of_Alioth>
> > there is no equivalent on salsa.
> >
> > git tags are not a suitable alternative because true release tarballs
> > include files generated by autotools (among others) that are not in
> > git, and git tags tarballs are not signed (signed tags is an different
> > concept).
> >
> > This unfortunately makes salsa unsuitable as a project homepage.
> Create a gitlab-ci job, build your files and provide them under a gitlab
> page. So you are wrong, salsa can work as it.

Or take your tag and turn it into a release; the process is even nicely
documented[0], Bill, so perhaps you should get your facts straight before
complaining about this. I don't really care, but I imagine comments like
that are demoralising for those who put countless hours into providing
and maintaining all the services we take for granted in the project.
Even the wiki page you linked there states that GitLab "allows extra
files to be attached to the tag".

Regards,
James

[0] https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/workflow/releases.html