Re: New lintian warning: vcs-deprecated-in-debian-infrastructure

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 03:54:46PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 03:40:21PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > [...] I'd very strongly object to completely moving
> > those fields out of the source packages, because it means when you get
> > or have a source package lying around then it's missing important
> > metadata and it stops being standalone, which would require checking
> > somewhere online, and you might first need to infer which distro/repo
> > was this coming from. I'll happily take outdated data than no data any
> > day, because usually you can use that outdated data to trace your way
> > to the current one, not so if it's missing.
> [...]
> > Yes, it might be silly to have to upload a package just and only to
> > update that information, or having that data being permanently
> > out-of-date on stable. But this problem can be easily solved already,
> > the archive, and most (if not all!?) repo managers have had the
> > concept of overrides for a very long time, starting with things like
> > dpkg-scanpackages/dpkg-scansources!
> [...]
>
> Thanks, Guillem, you got my convinced by these (to me, new) arguments.

I admit I have also not read these arguments before and I agree that it
makes sense to have some set of metainformation inside a package since
we need to assume that users are dealing with packages differently than
how we expect.

To give an example how science oriented Blends are dealing with
citations (= very specific metadata):  The citations are part of the
source package (in debian/upstream/metadata[1]) but all real
applications that are consuming the data are taking them from UDD[2].
The UDD gatherer is not reading this information from uploaded source
packages but rather from VCS (since some weeks pointing to Salsa now).
So all (at least all that are known to me) applications get up to date
information about citations relevant for a package from Git without any
need to upload a package but the package contains the metadata that are
up to date at the time of upload.

If I understood correctly this is the principle Guillem wanted to
suggest.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata