Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 06 Mar 2018 at 18:34:27 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
<snipped a little>

> > In practice I would expect the config in /e/n/i to keep working
> > because nowadays network-manager will ignore things in /e/n/i.  The
> > difficulty would only come if you
> >   - used the installer to install a bare system over wifi
>
> That difficulty is  exactly the subject of this thread. The rest of this
> post is snipped because it side-steps addressing the issue. What is put
> in /e/n/i ceases to work because it is obliterated by the installer for
> reasons unknown.
>
> One user calls it a "sick joke". After five years and with no attempt
> to rectify the situation, I'm beginning to have sympathy with that view.
>
> (Yes, I know we are all volunteers).
>
> --
> Brian.

I have sympathy too, because I take time every day to try and help people
solve issues like this.  I admire the effort to get this wifi issue
resolved.  I just think it would be smart to mull it over a bit.

I know it's been a long time coming, and from what I can tell, debian is
getting better with every release.  We're going to hit the bullseye, I
really believe that.

Brute forcing this thing with wifi to /e/n/i might not be the best
approach?  What about people who want a different config than the
installer?  What about people who don;t want to be UP (auto) on bootup?
What about static configs?  Wifi is by nature a mobile environment, what
about security or several devices?  Let's help the devs by hashing out the
pros and cons and making a coherent proposal?

Thanks again,
bw