Re: Rant about Debian reproducibility environment

Hello Simon,

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
 |On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 at 18:17:20 +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>   And, of course, if there is a different kernel version, or
 |>   a different uname(1) output as such, then how could a dumb end
 |>   producer[consumer, the author] like S-nail deal with that?  We
 |>   hardwire those attributes into the binary, like many other
 |>   programs do, e.g., "mutt(1) -v" output.
 |
 |Why is the kernel version on the machine where s-nail was compiled useful
 |to you? If you're looking for more information about a bug report from
 |your users, for example if you are concerned that a syscall might have
 |changed behaviour, the kernel version on the machine where s-nail was
 |*used* seems far more useful - but you can't know that at compile time,
 |only at runtime (via uname(2) which is the same system call that uname(1)
 |uses).

This is indeed correct, and i have changed $OSENV to go for
uname(1) -sm instead of -srm.

It was more about completeness, and, in times of rolling releases,
an indication of whatever.  I do not know what if have thought, if
at all anything. :)

 |Similarly, on 32-bit x86 and ARM systems, the architecture reported by
 |uname is (unfortunately) variable, because it's more specific than just
 |the machine architecture (i686 or i586 or armv5te or armv7hl, not just
 |i386 or arm). Again, if you pick this up at build-time and bake it into
 |your binary, it's misleading: a Debian binary built on an i686 autobuilder
 |could be used on an i586 machine, or vice versa[1]. If you want this
 |information for debugging, the architecture of the machine where s-nail
 |is running seems a lot more interesting than the architecture where it
 |happens to have been compiled.
 |
 |If you want "s-nail --version" or similar to give information about the
 |machine for debugging purposes, consider using uname(2) instead.
 |That's what mutt -v does, at least on Debian: you can see this by running
 |
 |    mutt -v
 |    setarch x86_64 --uname-2.6 mutt -v
 |
 |and noting that the kernel version that was reported changes.

The additional usage of uname(2) to gain information on the
actually running system is interesting, but possibly overkill for
the things i care about.
Until know i have always been able to track the error to myself or
at least the software i maintain anyway.  (Except for an iconv(3)
bug i think of GNU LibC that i reported in fact today, that is.)
I hope we can stick with "uname -sm".

Be warned you have been credited.
Ciao,

--steffen