Re: FHS: Where to store user specific plugins / code

another option:

-- it is best practice for daemons/services not to run as root.  They
should have an application specific user.

-- some tools can be run in a systemish way by a specific user, but
also by other users in a less official way (think web server on a high
port instead of port 80.)

-- user preferences are standardized by freedesktop.org
   https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s03.html

So preferences/plugin settings would go under ~/.config/package/ for
whatever user is running the tool.
state files under ~/.cache/package/   The systemd.service file will
have User=xxxx, so the "normal"
service settings will be under ~xxxx.

It seems much cleaner to me than the httpd link farms, and allows
users to spin up their own daemons
(user httpd on a high port) with a natural location for settings.
This aligns with systemd where they have the --user flag to let users
manage their own daemons.