Re: [Pkg-javascript-devel] three.js_80+dfsg2-2_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 11:59 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> It seems ftp masters are literally the masters with only a GR powerful
> enough to over turn their decisions. See
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=881339#55

This seems correct, from my reading of the Debian constitution.

> I do not think this is really in sync with the rest of debian
> philosophy. I think the following steps would improve the situation.

I disagree with it not being in sync with Debian philosophy. The
Debian constitution is quite explicitly written to avoid concentrating
power in the hands of a single individual (the DPL), due to
unfortunate misuses of power long ago. It follows that power should
also not be concentrated into the hands of a small, self-electing
group (the technical commitee), either.

> 1. If a single ftp master is in disagreement, there should be a team
> decision (in previous cases of disagreement also, other team members did
> not get involved).

I'm not sure this would change the outcomes of ftp-master decisions.
From experience, I find the team to have a pretty strong consensus and
would not expect the team as a whole to disagree with the decision of
a single team member. Overall, I think that's a good thing.

It might result in decision being more formally documented, perhaps.
That would probably be a good thing.

> 2. CTTE should be able to overrule a delegate when there is a conflict
> just like conflict between two debian developers.

I'm opposed to this. We would need a GR to make this happen, since it
would need a change to the constitution. I for one would vote against
such a change.

(I express no opinion on the root complaint about circular build
dependencies and how we handle them.)