Re: Can aolserver4 be considered superseded and removed?

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 05:15:46PM +0100, Héctor Romojaro Gómez wrote:
I was meditating to replace Aolserver4 with Naviserver which is a
fork
but has has a few incompatibilities in its Tcl API. On those regards
Naviserver is in much better state.

https://bitbucket.org/naviserver/naviserver

Just in case this has been overlooked, there is already some effort
ongoing on the naviserver packaging.

I filed an ITP[1] some time ago, and recently asked formally for a
first upload of the package and permissions over it (i am a DM)[2].
Volunteers to do it are of course welcome :)

Gulp! indeed I'm now remembering the ITP, but I missed the recent
update.

As the openacs maintainer, which is also dependant on
aolserver4/naviserver, i would prefer to avoid maintaining different
configurations for both, so i am in favor of just replacing the
aolserver4 package with the new naviserver one, taking into account
possible transition issues.

I would suggest to provide a migration package for AOLserver users
with a NEWS document about possible issues due to known problems.
I'll have a look to the current package. Let's move this thread on
te pkg-tcltk-devel list.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=804043
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-tcltk-devel/2018-February/003546.html

Kind regards,