Re: Systemd dependencies

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 at 09:46:22 +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> do we have something like virtual entities for systemd service files? In SysV
> we could require that mail-transport-agent was started before starting a
> service. But how is this supposed to be handled with systemd?

systemd targets provide similar functionality. network-online.target is
probably the most visible example.

I don't think anyone has defined a target for "the MTA has been started",
and in general the more-recommended pattern for systemd is for required
services to be started automatically when they are needed (for example
via socket or D-Bus activation), or for the depending service to monitor
the system state or use patterns that will always work, instead of
relying on being started with complex preconditions met (for example
network daemons that watch for new interfaces via netlink, like ntpd does,
or bind listening sockets with IP_FREEBIND so that they can be started
before the relevant interface is up, like mariadb does).

Which service are you interested in, and why does its start need to be
deferred until after the MTA? I thought the recommended entry point into
our MTAs was /usr/sbin/sendmail, which is expected to write messages
into a spool for later processing by the MTA daemon if necessary, so it
doesn't actually matter whether a depending service is started before
or after the MTA?

    smcv