Re: Extended Long Term Support for Wheezy

On Thu, 2018-02-22 at 16:51 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > I don't have an opinion on whether this should be done on Debian
> > servers or not, but I have a comment on providing security support for
> > more than a decade. How do you plan to deal with the kernel?
>
> FTR, I'm not involved in CIP and thus I can't speak for them but since
> I was in contact with them, I have looked at their wiki and you will
> find their plans related to the kernel here:
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance
>
> And as you see, we have Debian people involved since Ben Hutching is
> currently maintaining their "Super Long Term Support" kernel which is
> based on Linux 4.4.
>
> That said I'm not sure if their SLTS kernel will ever be suitable for
> use in Debian. Maybe Ben can comment on this.

I think the criteria for patch inclusion in CIP and Debian kernels are
very close.  If we align on a base kernel version, CIP may be able to
use the Debian kernel package as an upstream and send its additions
(for new hardware support) to Debian for inclusion.  (I'm not sure how
CIP would handle this technically, since Debian uses a quilt series in
git whereas CIP uses a normal git branch.  But there are ways of
converting from one to the other.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had