Re: Extended Long Term Support for Wheezy

On Thu, 2018-02-22 at 16:31 +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I don't have an opinion on whether this should be done on Debian
> servers or not, but I have a comment on providing security support for
> more than a decade. How do you plan to deal with the kernel? Do you
> expect to backport security fixes to the wheezy kernel, or upgrade
> the kernel to newer versions from time to time?

I don't know about the proposed wheezy SLTS as I haven't committed to
participate in it, but I would expect the former.

> A newer kernel may be
> necessary for hardware support as well. What's your plan on that? In
> addition to the kernel, the rest of the plumbing layer may need
> upgrades to handle hardware support, security, changes elsewhere.
[...]

The plan in CIP is to backport hardware support to the newest SLTS
branch only.  Old hardware can continue running kernels built from an
old branch but new hardware will only be supported on the new branch.

The cadence of SLTS kernel branches is not yet determined, but if
CIP successfully aligns with Debian then they will presumably be
started at 2 or 4 year intervals.  This is likely to mean that no new
hardware support is added beyond the LTS period.

Some more details here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had