Re: The name LTS and the way we use it is very confusing (was: Extended Long Term Support for Wheezy)

On 02/20/2018 04:52 PM, Jens Korte wrote:
> Hi
>
> How would you organize and call it in the wiki name space, ELTS,
> extended LTS, LTS? Would you use the normal LTS name space and make no
> difference? LTS is on the one side the name for the support after
> oldstable and on the other side the general name for LTS and ELTS.
>
> Greets
>
> Jens Korte

I would also like to highlight that the name LTS is very confusing for
our users, as it's used in a different way than others are using.

Outside of Debian, an "LTS release" is a release which will receive
longer update. Though in Debian, every release is an LTS. We just only
begin to call it this way once it's effectively out of our standard
security update procedure.

The result is that when we call wheezy the LTS Debian, someone may be
confused and believe that other newer releases will *not* get extended
support.

I'm not sure how to fix that. Probably the first step would be to
explain this in our wiki, and tell that the term "LTS" has a different
meaning in Debian.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)