Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

 ❦ 18 février 2018 23:53 +0200, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> :

>> Who said we cannot properly maintain this stuff? And where do you
>> think our expected level of quality (whatever that is) will not be
>> reached?
>
> In the year 2018, any kind of "properly maintain" includes security support.
>
> Please elaborate how Debian can provide security support for packages
> like gitlab and all their dependencies in buster until mid-2022.
>
> If Debian cannot provide security support for the lifetime of a stable
> Debian release, it is better for our users when they are installing the
> software from upstream with the security support provided by upstream.

Debian is not only about security support. We provide packages without
security support. We also have backports that come without security
support either. This is still better than installing random packages
made by random people which may or may not integrate properly into
Debian.
--
Watch out for off-by-one errors.