Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 01:51:38PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Then I guess the question is, what is Debian?
> >
> > Does a different and additional package format change the project?
>
> It seems like you're not reading what other people have said--tt has

Well I try, but I'm certainly not perfect. Assuming this is not a
personal attack you might want to point me to whatever I missed.

> nothing to do with the packaging format, it has to do with providing
> stable base of software that interoperates. A collection of
> unrelated
> independent modules which must be dynamically built off the latest
> git
> repository may be interesting, but it's not a coherent distribution.

I thought we were talking about packages for some big applications that
a lot of people want to use nowadays.

> Other people are already trying to do that thing, it isn't clear
> what
> value debian would add. Conversely, we know what the current debian

How about making it available from the same reliable source? And having
it well integrated with the rest of the system?

> distribution provides, why throw that out to chase some new shiny
> thing?

Sorry I still don't get this. Why would adding some (as Moritz
suggested probably less than 50) packages in a different format (Maybe
flatpak as Sean suggested) equal to throwing out what Debian provides
now?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes