Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> schrieb:
> What do you think? Do you have other ideas? Are there other persons
> who are annoyed by the current situation?

There's clearly a set of software which is of high quality, but where
upstream's development practices are not usefully aligned with our
existing distro model. This goes beyond web applications, we're also
missing out top quality server software (e.g. elasticsearch which
also turned out to be incompatible, see the PTS for details)

Many of those upstreams provide custom debs or have people install
locally instead, but IMO we should still strive to accomodate these
packages:
- by providing a well-maintained common base stack underneath
(Java, core system services, PHP, Curl etc. pp.)
- by ensuring our usual high standards of FLOSS compliance

One way would be to create a new archive section which is based on
the latest stable release, which
- follows upstream releases/branches independant of the Debian
lifetime (for users of such software it's common to have releases
being supported for only a year or so and being forced to upgrade
more often)
- allows maintainers to release updates independant of the stable
release managers and the security team
- allows bundling some classes within the specific packages if
those need to be more recent than what the stable base provides
(we can track code copies etc)

I don't think this section would contain more than, say 50 packages,
but would Debian to sensibly provide packages for say Nextcloud,
the Elastic stack or Grafana (or even gitlab, while packaged
in stretch, salsa also follows upstream and even backporting
the first set of security fixes isn't done after a month (#888508).

Cheers,
        Moritz