Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 01:59:55PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
While I agree with you, just the number of node-.* (1249) or libjs-.*
(398) packages (which tend to fall within this fast-paced development
culture) makes me shiver... Who will maintain them at different
compatibility levels? Even more so if their upstreams have effectively
abandoned them?

And the real ironic thing is that those packages mainly exist to support some larger app as dependencies, and that larger app is generally out of date so people will just install a non-packaged version anyway--at which point they'll get the node dependencies from live downloads because who the heck would use debian packages for that instead of using the native facilities?

Mike Stone