Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

Michael Meskes dijo [Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 04:58:04PM +0100]:
> Can't we treat a .deb file like a container in the sense that it may
> include additional source if needed? I'd very much like this.
>
> I know that this does create some problems for us, e.g. on the security
> side, but the alternative is, as you mentioned, manually installed
> software and that surely is worse.

Dunno.

As a sysadmin, I know I can trust that most of my system is OK if I
just apt update / apt upgrade every so often. And I know the maybe
five to ten software packages I have hand-installed. I know I must be
aware of their alerts and whatnot.

I know that being a 15-year DD does not make me the average
sysadmin. But that's one of Debian core values to sysadmins. I guess
I'm not the only one appreciating that.