Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

Quoting Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org>:
What kind of relaxation could we introduce without damaging freeness?

And damaging quality. If a program uses some JS libraries without
any sources easily available, I cannot really promote this software.
Neither in Debian nor outside. This is just bad practice.

Or we could try to embrace the multiple-library-versions-in-the-same-root
issue like distributions such as NixOS and Guix do.  I.e. standardize
alternative places where alternative versions of libraries can be
installed (by installing package whose name contain the major/minor
version so it fits nicely into the dpkg model, and not the release
version so that upgrades are still possible), and the corresponding
environment variables be used to point those complex software at these
dependencies.

This sounds good, at least for JavaScript libraries and esp. the
Node "ecosystem" (a.k.a. toxic waste dump).

Cheers