Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 02:41:37PM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:05:05PM +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> >
> >> In the example above, while in Wheezy, the dependency was perfectly
> >> correct. It became wrong because of the epoch bump (for no obvious
> >> reason). For software we distribute ourselves, this change can be caught
> >> at some point before the release (or by automation, like you suggest),
> >> but for people packaging stuff outside Debian, this can be far more
> >> painful.
>
> How about introducing an Upstream-Version field? It can go up or down
> (forwards or backwards, newer or older) independent of the Debian (package)
> version.

Would require every program that parses version numbers to implement this.
We already can do so via Provides (versioned or even non-versioned).

> ITP
> Package foo
> Version: 1.0-1
>
> Then a new upload
> # error...
> Package foo
> Version: 2.0-1 (really 1.5)
>
> Current corrections:
> Package foo
> Version: 1:1.5-1
> or
> Version 2.0-really1.5-1

Package foo
Version: 2.0-really1.5-1
Provides: foo-api-1.5

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ The bill with 3 years prison for mentioning Polish concentration
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ camps is back.  What about KL Warschau (operating until 1956)?