Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 02:19:01PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
Well, it also has the function of getting rid of the old package and
being part of the normal upgrade path.  The latter is important.  If
the previous version had major data loss or security issues,
introducing a new package with a different name doesn't have the
semantics you want.

Well, epochs don't magically do that either. :)

They certainly do?  Or I'm missing your point.  (To be clear, by "get rid
of the old package" I mean "from the active Debian archive," not from
everywhere it was ever installed.)

I meant in terms of cleaning up whatever's actually busted on user systems. You usually need to do something in that case beyond just changing the epoch.

Mike Stone