Re: Repackaging upstream source with file modifications?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 at 10:28:33 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> I also cannot simply
> remove the relevant file in this case (a CRC implementation), as doing
> that would break too many existing parts of GRUB.
>
> Fortunately, libgcrypt upstream implemented unencumbered replacement CRC
> code a while back, and over the weekend I worked on backporting this to
> the version of libgcrypt imported into GRUB

I believe the canonical way to do this is to delete the problematic file
from the orig tarball, and patch in the reimplementation as part of the
Debian part of the source package. This will mean your orig tarball is
incomplete/not compilable, but that isn't something Debian really aims
to solve.

    smcv