Re: Removing packages perhaps too aggressively?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 09:45:55AM +0100, Andrej Shadura wrote:
> On 01/02/18 09:40, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > Why would filing a third RC bug (the "proposed-RM") and waiting one
> > month more change anything?  Why would someone turn up to fix them now?
>
> Why not? I *was* already doing just that, but with an RM bug filed
> elsewhere, I was unable to know it's about to be removed. I would have
> reacted and closed it before the package's got removed.

Currently, RM bugs are filed against ftp.debian.org.

It might make sense to have them filed against ftp.debian.org *and* the
package to be removed, instead. That way, people who care about the
package are more likely to see that it is about to be removed, and can
take corrective action if they don't want to have that happen?

I don't think a package that is orphaned, has long-standing RC bugs
against it, and hasn't been in a released version of Debian for a long
time requires much consideration before being removed, however. Those
are cruft, and we should get rid of them...

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab