Re: Removing packages perhaps too aggressively?

On January 31, 2018 10:34:28 PM UTC, Michael Biebl <email@michaelbiebl.de> wrote:
>Am 31.01.2018 um 22:49 schrieb Don Armstrong:
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2018, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
>>> Me too likes to extend the removal notice for few weeks/months.
>>> Especially removal from testing when outside freeze periods.
>>
>> Packages removed from testing outside of the freeze can be easily
>> re-added to testing once the underlying RC bugs are fixed. So RMs
>should
>> continue to remove early, and remove often. [When this has happened
>with
>> my packages (see lilypond), it's resulted in more people helping with
>> the maintenance of them, and brought some issues to a wider
>audience.]
>>

>I agree. Removals from testing should have no artifical delay. Removals
>from the archive (i.e. unstable), a two or four week courtesy delay
>seems ok to me, giving the person listed in Maintainers a chance to
>reply, seems ok.

So far, every time this comes up, there's no actual volunteer to invest the time to update the removals page to make this reasonable to do in practice.

I think some normal delay is reasonable, but it needs to be integrated into the pending removals page so the FTP team member processing removals gets an indication the request is new.

 Scott K