Re: FTBFS with parallel make

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 09:42:05AM +0100, Philipp Hahn wrote:
> we (Univention GmbH) rebuild packages (from Debian-Jessie or newer)
> using "-j8".
Is that a dpkg-buildpackage option? It's documented to fail on certain
packages, you need to use -J instead, and maintainers need to certify that
a package can be built in parallel by bumping the debhelper compat level
or passing appropriate flags to debhelper tools.

> What do you thing: If parallel build a worthy goal?
Yes. Please test packages and submit patches.

> With all the reproducible build stuff going on, I think it would be nice
> if someone™ can also donate CPU time to check that -j`nproc` works.
No, building the package with -j`nproc` is not enough, you also need to be
sure the result works correctly (and repro is not very useful for this
until 100% coverage).

--
WBR, wRAR